bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Where can a new author sell the first chapter of a book? Where can I publish my work online and get paid for it? I'm just new to this and this is my first work and it's still chapter - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You're putting the cart before the horse

I have seen authors with Patreons who mostly sate their patrons with chapters posted as they write their stories. Then when the story is completed they put it up for sale online publicly (possibly provided for free to their patrons).

But in every case, these authors have built up a following by posting their work on free sites for a significant period of time. Patreon is not a site structured around paying for content - it's structured around supporting creators whose content you are already consuming. Patreon does feature exclusive rewards which create a "pay for content" experience, but trying to post your content exclusively on Patreon and charge for it is doomed to failure, because it misunderstands the motivations of the patrons.

And even if you did manage to make such a business model work, you're still going to making maybe a couple hundred a month. Enough for a trip to Disneyland (assuming you're going alone) or a really nice blowdryer, but not enough to live on.*

There's no "turn writing into cash" button - it requires work and dedication (and a little bit a great deal of luck) for all authors.

*I write this, knowing that you go to Seanan McGuire's (the author telling the blowdryer story I linked to) Patreon page, you'll see that she makes several thousand on Patreon each month. But she's also a Hugo and Nebula award-winning professional author with several ongoing and completed series to her name. Her success on Patreon was earned from her work outside Patreon, and should not be taken as a measure of achievablity by a new author.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Connie138

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best