bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Little disjointed scenes My MC is going through boot camp. Physically and mentally, he goes from high-school boy to soldier prepared for combat. Along the way there's struggles, there's new friendships - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I'm assuming your larger story isn't focused on bootcamp, and that other things happen afterwards. If so, I would suggest the Iceberg Method. Write all your little scenes from bootcamp, but don't (necessarily) use them in the final novel. Instead, write your main narrative, and if you get to a place where you need a piece of history, you'll have it ready and waiting. For instance, your MC and his best friend are out on patrol. The MC flashes back to how he initially hated his best friend when they first met in boot camp.

If the whole story IS bootcamp, then you have a larger problem, in as much as you're apparently bored by, and eager to skip over, your main setting. But you can still use the same method. In this scenario, go back and write some backstory for your MC and his squadmates. Then, as you're writing your bootcamp scenes, you can draw on the MC's childhood for other material to interweave it with. That saves you from jumping from one bootcamp scene to the next.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sarah872

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best