bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Characters jumping out of their stories I just read an article online and thought "this is great, I should forward the link to Phoebe." Phoebe is one of my characters. I've already had characters - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Question:

What's the best way to channel, handle, or survive this part of the writing process?

Answer: Keep a notebook handy. Always. And, set aside time to spend with that character.

But additionally, set time aside for the other characters too. Give them one-on-one time.

The characters that arrive fully-formed may well be a part of yourself that is within your core personality. Your truest thoughts. However, the other characters are within you too, and given some coaxing they might share some very valuable insight. Quiet insight.

But secondarily, don't be afraid to direct the strong characters. Put them in situations they don't want to be in. Insist they have conversations with the people they'd rather avoid. You're in charge. It is nice when a character is opinionated, but that doesn't mean they get to write the story.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Rivera824

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best