bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Re-reading and making changes to current work that makes everything worse? I constantly re-read my work before writing again. It helps me get in the proper mind set. But my biggest problem is - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Have you tried plotting the story first, in order to hammer down key story points at the right times? A story that meanders is less likely to feel like it has a shape to it, than a story that adheres to a standard structure.

You don't need to follow a format, but from the sound of your question you seem to be writing and re-writing hoping that one rewrite might get you over a hump and onto the next part of the story.

I suggest patterning off of a story you enjoy. not copying and not plagiarizing, but analyzing the story you enjoy and deciding what things of importance are happening when.

I also suggest identifying the key problem and key goals in your story. this can be in an outline form or a graphic form. Aim for rising tension and moments of relief.

Then use discipline to write to that outline or structure. If you know that chapter one serves the purpose of introducing the world, for example, you can move onto chapter two once that is done and not return to chapter one until you are through a good chunk of first draft.

Good luck.

Edit: It's also important to remember the structure of a scene.

Goal-Conflict-Disaster

Scenes can be followed by brief sequels (Reaction Dilemma Decision) which then launches into the next scene. If your scenes are not structured properly, you'll feel that as a shortcoming in the story.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kaufman555

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best