bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What is dark humor exactly? I heard that people who appreciate dark humor are more intelligent on average. I also read the following: Willinger and her team said their findings suggested - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Humor is notoriously difficult to analyze. Different cultures have different senses of humor, and so do different individuals and different generations. A lot of times you need to "be on the right wavelength" to get the joke.

Dark humor is basically something that would normally arouse negative feelings such as horror, fear, sadness, pity or disgust, but that instead makes you laugh --sometimes in spite of the nastiness of it, but just as often because of it. It can sometimes be the funniest humor, because it's intensified by the underlying negativity, and the need for a release.

I wouldn't advise pursuing dark humor unless you have a natural gift for it. (To be brutally honest, this seems unlikely, given your examples. :o ) Some people just tend to find the humor in dark situations. A normal joke that falls flat is harmless, but dark humor that fails can get you in serious serious trouble. If you want to work on dark material, I would just write it as it comes to you, without forcing the humor --everyone will view it through their own lens anyway. For example, my wife and I both love the movie Welcome to the Dollhouse. But she views it as a comedy, and I see it as a tragedy.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sarah872

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best