bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to prevent fountain pen ink from evaporating during winter months? While using a fountain pen, I noticed that the ink dries up much faster during the winter. I read that it is because - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

While using a fountain pen, I noticed that the ink dries up much faster during the winter. I read that it is because of home heaters, which dry up moisture in air and hence causes the ink to evaporate.

Since using heaters is inevitable, and moving to warmer climate isn't feasible, my question is that how can we prevent or slow down the ink evaporation?

I have thought to put the pen in a ziploc bag so that it can be sealed, but it is not a very trustworthy method.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cugini967

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Get a humidifier and a hygrometer. Try to keep the humidity in your home between 30-45%. Not only will it help keep your pen from drying out it can also help reduce your heating cost. Moist air retains heat better than dry air allowing you to lower your thermostat but still stay warm.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Possibly contrary to intuition -- write more. The faster you use up the ink, the more often you'll refill (and presumably clean) the pen, and the less trouble you'll have with drying up.

If you're going to put it away for more than a week or so, empty it, clean it, dry it, and store it closed and dry -- then treat it like a new pen when you're ready to ink it again.

Load Full (0)