bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I tackle religion and mythology correctly? Without offending religious people Update -- notes on April's Edits -- I added [[square brackets]] when I wasn't sure if my rephrasing clarified/changed - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

When attempting to subvert all myths are true, think Myth Busters. Some myths are true, but others aren't. There should be objective tests that can be used to demonstrate whether they're true or false.

Not all myths are really subject to those tests, however. Tests can be run to say if something is possible, but not necessarily whether or not some event that supposedly happened once upon a time. That having been said, if your characters are walking into the world of myths, they can presumably encounter the prime movers in some of those tales, and can get first hand testimony. Once again, some of the stories will be true, some won't be. And, of course, not all characters are necessarily 100% honest, but who is honest and who isn't can come out over time, as well.

If you're wanting to subvert all myths are true as well you can, and you're addressing religion, you will need to have some be true and some not be, as well. Though if you don't want to ruffle feathers, you might want to make up some of the religions that turn out to be false. Or it could be that part of a religion turns out to be true, and part turns out to be really not true.

I should also point out that you don't necessarily have the prime movers of a religion show up - you don't need to bring Jesus out to show Christianity is true, for example. Lesser figures of importance could also come in to play, sharing what of the stories surrounding them were accurate and which weren't - and possibly about what they've experienced since.

You should realize going into this that not everyone will agree with your portrayal. Myths are something that people hold dear, and religion is something many hold much more dearly. And there's not one thing that we all agree on. Even the assertion that there's nothing we all agree on is believed by all.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @XinRu607

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best