bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: When writing Sci-Fi whats a good way to determine the year? I'm having trouble deciding what year I want my Novella to take place. How do other Sci-Fi writers make up what year it is in - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You might consider referencing some of your favorite sci-fi stories. I love the Hyperion series, and it's set, what, in the year 3200? I felt that Simmons set his story "so far in the future" as a) allow his tech to exist but 2) the reader could see the date only as a number or reference without getting caught up in "FTL transportation is only one hundred years away? I might make it!!"

I do like Henry Taylor's "different memories age differently" as well - you could definitely suit that to your purpose.

But like my own age, it's just a number :)

From personal experience, don't choose a number from the past to just indicate the passage of time unless you explain it. I arbitrarily dated in my manuscript using "1950" and my beta reader was confused by it (she is not a sci-fi reader). When I explained I just was using the numbers until I settled on a dating technique, she was ok with it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Speyer920

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best