bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: When writing Sci-Fi whats a good way to determine the year? I'm having trouble deciding what year I want my Novella to take place. How do other Sci-Fi writers make up what year it is in - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Agree with all others. The answer lies in the writing theory, story design. The number of the future year doesn't matter at all without your story goals, without what you want to say or make to feel.

You cannot just take a year you want:

I want it to be far enough in the future

without consequences. It all matters for your story.

E.g. if you have completely different technology from now but the year number is not such big that means of technological revolutions, quantum leaps and interesting times at all. The opposite situation: so many years past, but we see only slight evolutional changes that give us a feeling of kinda conservatism with stagnation, crisis of development or boredom or.. revolution is coming.

So, it's up to you as author of your story design to decide.

Also, your question is incomplete, you need to add clarification:

to be far enough in the future X that the present is considered a part of history with the world in technological state Y

by this Y you give a reader the feeling of the environment the story in.

If you at first want or decide (marketing, personal preference or whatever) to use far enough in the future then the second you should select the style/mood/atmosphere/parable of your story and choose an appropriate technological setup (i.e. warp drives (if any), implants or artificial body clones, super collective mind, new iphones with android installed).

You can look at futurology as a science, but not to dig in deep enough (nobody knows the future and you are the author) unless your story is analytical paper for economists or so (also, know your reader).

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cooney417

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best