bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What are some tools for expanding your vocabulary? I usually use thesauruses, but they're only good for synonyms. I also tried using visual dictionary, but they don't really help you expand your - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

And keep reading.

Your example are parts of a flower. To have the thesaurus list those words under flower would be like expecting it to list foot, elbow, humerus, tibia, leg, shin, calf,head, nose, etc under a listing for man.

As Double U suggests - read. If you really want to improve your vocabulary, read older works. Sadly, there has been significant pressure towards the dumbing down of English. Journalists once used precise words, but now they must be certain that even the poorly educated among their readership will comprehend it.

Parents used to encourage their children to expand their vocabulary. If their son said something was great, the parent might ask if they can think of a better word than great.

People with a more extensive vocabulary are asked why they use five dollar words when simple words mean the same thing. Simple words have fewer shades of meaning and less precision.

Read the classics. They will entertain you and elevate you, improving your vocabulary in the process.

My grandfather owned a set of encyclopedias and spent the winter reading them A to Z. He became a fount of trivia, his vocabulary improved and he improved his awareness of the world in which he lived.

Back when I was young and facing the SATs, one of my classmates asked how we were to study for it. The teacher told us, only by being well read. Later, SAT prep companies cropped up, guaranteeing to raise your score significantly so that the right university would be interested in you. Being well read, I took comfort from that and knew that my classmate, who had read little aside from the required reading, had a problem.

Read as much as you can, but reach back in time too. Read the account of the loss of the Titanic and you will surely note that those journalists use terms rarely if ever seen in modern journalism.

Sign up for a word of the day app. Keep reading and learning - it ought to be a lifelong pursuit.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Candy753

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best