logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : What are some of the most common structures for lyrics? More specifically, what are the repeating parts usually in popular songs, and where do we put them normally? I want to write the lyrics

Correia211 @Correia211

Posted in: #Lyrics #Structure

More specifically, what are the repeating parts usually in popular songs, and where do we put them normally? I want to write the lyrics for a popular song, but I am not sure how to structure them.

There are five elements, namely: intro, verse, pre-chorus, chorus, bridge.

What are the repeating parts, and where do should I place them in a song?

10.02% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (2) Report

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Pierce369

Pierce369 @Pierce369

One of the most common formats for songs is Verse 1, Chorus, Verse 2, Chorus, Bridge, Chorus.

Most verses follow a simple ABAB or ABCB rhyme format - that is, in ABAB, the first and third lines rhyme and the second and fourth lines rhyme, and in ABCB, the second and fourth lines rhyme but the first and third do not.

With choruses, also called refrains, a hook is usually included at both the beginning and the end. Choruses are also sang in a different range than the rest of the verses, to provide variety.

A bridge is played in a different chord, and the lyrics may say something previously unexplored, or deeper in meaning than the verses.

Of course, this is not the only format for songs. Some songs have a more complex structure, such as Intro, Verse 1, Pre-Chorus, Chorus, Verse 2, Pre-Chorus, Chorus, Bridge, Chorus x2, Outro. Some songs do not even have a chorus, or a rhyme scheme. Some songs don't need it.

Simpler formulas are usually seen in shorter pop songs. This doesn't mean the song is bad! Adding your own embellishments to common formulas, or creating your own formula, is how your song becomes your own. Experiment with what you like and choose what makes the music and your words flow the best.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Barnes643

Barnes643 @Barnes643

Disclaimer: not a songwriter, I do like writing poetry so kind of close but not completely.

From my experience of listening to songs and writing song-like poetry, the repeating parts are typically in the pre-chorus and the chorus. The intro, the bridge, and each verse are all separate entities that are connected via theme and subject. However, they don't use the same words. Usually they tend to use the same chord progression and melody, but that also depends on the song. Each section definitely uses different lyrics though.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme