bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is bigotry always necessary in a story? I asked a question here on how to avoid political issues when I have a witch MC named Kem who is nonbinary, and a few people suggested that instead - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Since her spells work, the other people probably won’t care how she calls herself. They will be afraid of the potential harm she could do. Other witches might have taught them that such power, while it can be used for good, usually isn’t.

Bigotry would not apply in this case. If she wants to get some of the townsfolk to help her, she must overcome their fear and suspicion of her power. This could be useful to your story as it will cause conflict and create impediments to her eventual success - assuming she does succeed.

It is not essential to mention the possible persecution of witches, but understand the terror the normal people would feel knowing a stranger with powers to ignore the laws of nature was visiting and might wreak devastation upon them.

I have a character in a dark line of work who often defends himself, telling sometimes those who’ve know him most of his life that he is still the same person. What he does is not who he is. In your scenario, people would care little for who she is, but greatly for what she is - someone with the ability to destroy them.

The other people would have learned from bitter experience what witches and warlocks are capable of.

Patricia Wrede wrote an intriguing novel called Daughter of Witches - it deals with people terrified of the potential harm a witch might do and burning all witches. A few strangers come to town and things get interesting. Read it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sue2132873

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best