bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Do I need to get people to sign a waiver to include their content in my book? I am working on a book that will be based on the results of ten interview questions that I am asking of multiple - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I am working on a book that will be based on the results of ten interview questions that I am asking of multiple well-known-in-their-field people.

Do I need to get these folks to sign a waiver or some sort of other legal document before I can publish their responses?

Maybe I don't need to, but is it wise to?

I'm self-publishing for what it is worth.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Lengel543

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I agree with El Cadejo, it is always wise to have a contract in place. This covers you legally (and to some degree ethically) if:

You have a falling out with one of your subjects who wants to pull their work.
A subject doesn't like your interpretation of her/his words and claims you never had permission to use them.
A publisher requires this in the future* but then you can't reach one of your subjects.
Your book makes lots of money and a subject thinks some should go to her/him.
A subject dies and her/his next of kin is not into the project or is so overwhelmed that s/he won't respond to your requests.

* Note: You may be self-publishing now but maybe the book will be reprinted or, even more likely, you may wish to submit some articles based on the larger book.

Always always cover your tuchis.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I think it is absolutely wise. Any sorts of legal complications can arise and it's always best to be in the clear. I wrote up a contract with a close friend of mine adapting her work (basically making me her agent as well as granting separate use of her characters). Relationships and situations can change.

Load Full (0)