bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: I am afraid some scenes in my novel are too graphic for some people (Trigger warning: Sexual Assault) Just to keep it short. One of my characters is sexually assaulted by her father. While - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Write the scene and be true to your characters. Adults can handle some darkness.

I have a scenario where my MC is captured by a woman in Bolivian Security and is being brought to HQ. She treats him roughly and tethers him - rendering him helpless so that she is safe. She later wonders if she could use him and trust him to assist her, so takes him to her father in-law who is a semi retired torturer extraordinaire. MC realizes he is toast - this man is not one whose ministrations one tends to survive.

Since the scene is of short duration, I let it happen and the reader is there. No ‘he was taken to the workshop and tortured’ shortcut.Because it will subtly change my MC, I describe it.

You have an event that alters your character. Depending on her age at the time, her comprehension of it might be incomplete. She might not remember it but will be distrustful and distant.

If authors put warnings of upcoming sex or violence in their novels it would be quite jarring.

Just trust your readers to make their way through as they trust that you will make the trip worth taking.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pierce369

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best