bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: For Fantasy Stories, Should You Include a Map At the Beginning of the Book? If you're writing a fantasy novel, would it be best to include a map of the geography that the story takes place - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

As an artistic aid, I think maps are great. Beyond that, they become crutches, or worse - detriments to the reader's experience.

If a writer cannot explain (using the tools of their trade!) the world eloquently enough for you to have a clear idea in your mind's eye - then the world is too complex for their skill level. Period. Tacking on pictures in order to assist in telling the story means we'll have well-intentioned but inferior stories.

Also, the largest portion of an enjoyable reading experience is the use of the reader's imagination. If I had pictures of all the characters in the book, it would really take away from my experience, because in all likelihood they will not be interpreted by that individual artist in the same way I pictured them in my mind. This is one of the reasons it is a good idea in fiction of all sorts to limit the depth of detail on any given object, to allow the reader to more fully engage with their imagination and own the shared experience.

Of course, very general and largely vague maps just to show major trade routes or destinations and geographical location would be a simple aid for readers to quickly get oriented in the world. So again, if there isn't too much detail... it adds to rather than detracts from the story.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sent2472441

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best