bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How may a book and movie be one? How could a movie be paired to coincide with a book and come out at the same time? I would like to know if a book and a movie can be written to complement - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Books and movies are very different media, they have different strengths and weaknesses. Movies are very visual, and they are relatively "shorter," meaning any given event will take up a larger portion of a movie than a book. Movies should almost always "show, not tell" but that advice doesn't always hold true for books. Because of this, artistically successful adaptations of books are often quite different in large and small ways than their source material.

It's possible for a commercially successful adaptation of a beloved book to be just more or less a filmed, kinetic illustration of the text, but that tends to make for a much less interesting movie. Conversely, when a movie is novelized, it usually needs to add layers of psychological depth, subplots and backstory in order to not be painfully short and shallow.

Writing a "bovie" would be an interesting challenge to set yourself. Getting one simultaneously published and produced, however, would be likely impossible (except for someone like JK Rowling, who has proven successes AND powerful connections in both realms). I also don't see it being nearly as interesting to the reader as it would be to the author, unless the book and movie covered entirely different but linked narratives. I could see that potentially be very interesting --if, for example, the book was one that all the characters in the movie were reading, but that didn't previously exist in the real world.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sarah872

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best