logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: Am I Breaking Too Many Rules? I've finally committed to writing my first novel. I've been listening to things like Writing Excuses which encourages first time writers to finish their works, but

Sue2132873 @Sue2132873

You finished your book, congratulations! But almost nobody writes a novel that doesn't require major restructuring, especially not on the first try.

If your readers liked it in general, but had issues with the ending and some other things, then your novel is not finished! Yes it's a "novel re-write" as you say, but it's really just Step Two. Step One was finishing that first draft.

May I suggest you consider a trilogy? Or two books in a series. I say trilogy because they're a lot more common. Lots of stories are set up as trilogies where each book has a natural pause in the plot, but really they're one huge book A good example of this is The Queen of the Tearling trilogy. There are various ways to structure a trilogy and your length seems to fit right in.

If you're really just done with it, I get it. That feeling might change in a year. Or five. Especially after you get some smaller projects done. Either way, good luck.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme