bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Consulting experts - why should they talk to someone who isn't a published writer yet? Whatever subject I am researching for my story, the common recommendation is "talk to the relevant professionals". - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Easy Mode

A very reclusive-approachable option would be to post/lurk on forums where those types of people gather. You can see their opinions and range of personalities pretty easily across a wide range of subjects. If you join in, you join in at the level you want and perhaps can approach a few personalities that interest you via pm and get the answers that aren't clear. That might then morph into the type of conversation you want to have.

It's still another form of networking, but it is the easiest one today. Like e-dating for writers. Just because it's easy, does not mean it's without value. Starting in an easy place is usually the best when you don't know what you don't know.

Hand Selling Yourself

That said, if you don't have credentials you don't mention them. You say something along the lines: "Hi I'm [Joe], and I'm writing a book about a [firefighter]. Would you be willing to help me understand what its like to be a [firefighter]?"

If they say yes, great; measure their engagement. Maybe it's a "Sure, kid, but I'm busy." In which case, limit your questions. Or maybe they are skittish, in which case you may have to spend more time being friendly. Or maybe they just open up. You can't really know without asking. But one of the universal truths about people is that they won't stop talking once you get them talking about themselves. So if you find an outgoing [firefighter] then, chances are you don't need to do much prodding to get them to talk.

Your credentials aren't the important thing. You are an opportunity for them to share their world view. They will naturally feel the urge to share their story if you do it right. Or, they'll tell you to go away. But you try enough and you'll find the right person.

Shadowing is the hardest of sells. You don't start with it. If the person works in a place where their relationship with the public can be combative, the cold open "Hey can I shadow?" won't work. Doctors, for instance have to follow Hippa. CIA agents have to kill you if they tell you anything. People who run museums don't want to be catfished into compromising security for thieves. But there are other professions where that may be more of a possibility.

I would not shoot for shadowing first. I would shoot for the interview, possibly over a beer.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Bethany377

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best