logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: Should I write a companion book/blog? As a spinoff to this question: Incorporating research and background: How much is too much? I'm writing a middle-grade fantasy novel with a historical fiction

Deb2945533 @Deb2945533

A companion book - it's way too early to think of that. There's no sense in writing a companion book when you haven't written the main book yet. A companion to what would it be? Once you've published your story, if it sells well, there might be a market for a companion book with additional information. Of course, by then you might be tired of Exodus, and eager to do something new instead.

A companion blog - you could do that now. It might even help generate interest in your upcoming book. I see one serious problem though: you have X hours a day for writing. If you spend Y hours writing your blog, you've only got (X - Y) left to write your novel. And the novel is what you want to write, right?

If writing the blog helps you write your novel in some way - helps you arrange your thoughts, get over a writing block, gives you some sort of encouragement - then go ahead and do it. Otherwise, your goal is the novel. Don't let yourself get so distracted from it that you don't actually finish the novel.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme