logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : What are some techniques to avoid digital distraction? I'm a modern day writer. I learned to type on a word processor when I was eight or nine. If you gave me a typewriter (which would be

Vandalay250 @Vandalay250

Posted in: #Discipline #Process #TimeManagement #WritersBlock

I'm a modern day writer. I learned to type on a word processor when I was eight or nine. If you gave me a typewriter (which would be super cool of you,) I wouldn't really know how to use it well. I also like having the internet at my fingertips. But my biggest problem is that sometimes I get lost in the internet rabbit-hole. I end up with seven blog posts, a couple of news articles, a few Wikipedia pages, at least ten to twelve tabs for Stack Exchange. Before I know it, I've spent four hours not writing anything and it's time for sleep.

Part of the problem is that the internet is useful. There is legitimate and much needed information there. And well-timed rests and mind breaks are also important. So how do I stay focused. Find the information I need and get back to work.

10.01% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (1) Report

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Jamie945

Jamie945 @Jamie945

My only problem is when I find the need for research something in the internet for my writing. I'll say what works for me.

I use Focus Writer
I turn off not only my computer's wi-fi, but my router as well
When I feel the shallow need of searching for something, I write down what exactly I want to know and leave it there.
So when I really feel the need for researching, I turn on the router again and do it. (It might be dangerous because I can end up in a search-loop-hole, but I use a browser extension called "Impulse Blocker" to help me with that. It does'nt work always)

Lastly, but not least, you talked about mind breaks. What you really want to aim is being bored. Yes, being bored and tedium. Because your mind in that state keeps working and if you get yourself distracted with anything else, you lose that subconsciouss processing. Don't do anything, allow yourself to be bored, and you'll see how much this is helpful.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme