bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Map-making software I'm looking for free software, preferably open-source, that would allow me to create maps for my story. I guess what I need is a tool that would allow some measure of 3D - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I'm looking for free software, preferably open-source, that would allow me to create maps for my story. I guess what I need is a tool that would allow some measure of 3D modeling.

Features I would very much like:

Fiddling with elevation
Drawing rivers, and making sure they don't do silly things like flowing upwards.
Marking precipitation, so that, for myself, I know "region X is arid".
Marking roads, cities, forests, etc.
Measuring distances
Generating some sort of 2D map out of the 3D model

Is there anything in existence that's sort of in the right direction, perhaps some tool for RPGs?

I will need a map with my novel, eventually, but primarily this is for myself and my worldbuilding at this stage: I want to make sure I'm consistent with distances and with routes. Also, the story is relatively heavy on geopolitics, making a map rather critical for the creative process. (This is apparently what happens when the MC is the king, and he does actual governing.)

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sent2472441

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Tiled is an RPG map editor. It is completely free. It works with tilemaps which can be sourced for free but may be more challenging for you because of your peculiar use case. The program is fairly versatile and I have yet to fully explore its many features. You might have to get creative to do what you need, but it should be manageable. Tilemaps are often made to allow for representing changes in terrain. It also supports notetaking. 3D options do not appear to be available.

As for tilemaps, I get mine from OpenGameArt, but there are other sources in the answers to this Gamedev.SE question.

Load Full (0)