logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Is it plausible to get a contract with an US/UK publisher as a foreigner? Looking for some insight in the publishing industry. Is it even remotely plausible to get published in with an English-language

Rivera824 @Rivera824

Posted in: #Contracts #Fiction #Legal #Novel #Publishing

Looking for some insight in the publishing industry.

Is it even remotely plausible to get published in with an English-language publishing house (UK/US), when you're not a national nor a resident of either country?

The industry being so competitive I can see a publisher or agent outright rejecting my query on any of the following grounds:

Distrust: non-native speakers don't have a reputation of being great writers in English
Hassle: Setting up meetings, contracts etc. is more difficult.
Marketing: The author would not be able to do extensive marketing tours (events, signings, what-have-you) - save for relocation. More hassle.
Name: If they can't pronounce my name it's hardly recognizable/marketable (unless I go with a nom de plume)

Let's pretend for a while that I write an amazing, otherwise publishable novel. Do I stand a chance to get it out there? Do you know of any examples of authors who have managed to cross this barrier?

Context:

I've been planning and researching for a novel for about a year now, and I think this is the story I want to get out into the world.

In the past I've written in my native Finnish and the English language. I am equally comfortable in both, but I've never written with the goal of getting published. I've chosen the language based on which has suited the story better.

The publishing industry in Finland is one of the most vital in the world per capita, and while competitive, first-time authors have a reasonable chance to get published if they're good. But there is no Finnish-ness to my story: The events take place in the US and continental Europe, and the characters speak English.

In my mind this story needs to also be written in English, but I'm afraid of writing a book that can't get published because of the way the "system" works.

10.01% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (1) Report

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Cooney417

Cooney417 @Cooney417

I am not a publisher, so perhaps someone will correct me, but if your book is good, they'll publish it. I can't for the life of me see any good reason why not.

On the subject of distrust, the content of the book demonstrates your English, not the fact you don't live in the UK or the US. I would seriously doubt that anyone would be put off by the fact that you're a non-native speaker if your book is good, and well-written.

In these days of internet connectivity and video phone calls, it's far less of a hassle to organise meetings and discussions.

Marketing tours and suchlike are not barriers to you being published; not all published books have these sorts of events. If the book is promising enough that they want to do these sorts of events, lucky you! Angry Robot (British-based publishers), for example, published Zoo City by Lauren Beukes, who lives in South Africa, and I believe she's recently flown to various countries to promote the book on the back of its success. She didn't have to relocate.

With regards to your name (don't know what it is, so can't comment), going with an alias is an option if you think it would help, but you just need to look at crime fiction to see it littered with names like Håkan Nesser, Jo Nesbø, Arnaldur Indridason etc. and realise that "foreign" names certainly haven't been a barrier for them.

Don't discount publishing in your own language first, however. I can think of a number of examples of books written in foreign languages that were then picked up and published in the English language on the back of their success in their native countries.

Lastly, it's very easy to think of many reasons why something may not work. My advice is to write your book, and try get it published. See what happens!

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme