bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Will my book have a better chance at being successful if I include more gender diversity in it? My novel so far only contains female main characters. There are some male characters, but they - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You already mentioned it, but I will say it anyway - don’t since it would be forced. Listen to your instincts and be true to the tale you are telling and the characters you create.

I would rather read a book with interesting characters that are nothing like me but engage my empathy and curiosity than a story with a long list of different characters that were added so that different audiences could be pandered to.

Does your story need more characters? Do you really want to be writing a book that contains characters just to represent a segment of the population but otherwise clutter your novel?

Please avoid adding characters to please imagined readers and make your story good enough to be universally interesting. Ask yourself - why did you make that character gay? If the answer is just because they were all straight, the token character might be more offensive than being silent on orientation and allowing readers to bring what they will and add what they wish to the characters.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pierce369

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best