bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Should an author include user-interactive sections in his website? Related questions: Should an author have one website or two? As an new author, how important is to have a personal website? Pros - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

User interaction is a commitment.

Moderation, as Galastel discusses, is one important component of it (use software such as Wordpress that emails you all new comments and allows you to set moderation parameters). Remember, your website is your private domain and you do not have to allow "free speech" (this has no meaning in private forums). On my personal blog, I've left up comments that disagree with me but I did not allow the tiny handful that were obnoxious. I had one calling me "fat" (as a way to dismiss my opinion, it's in fact a common way to dismiss women; it had nothing to do with how I look) and one that stated crudely that I'd change my mind if I just had more sex (it was a restaurant review, seriously).

Interaction is the other important component. If you allow comments, you need to respond to them. If there are just a few comments (fewer than 10 a week), respond to all of them (you can address multiple comments from the same page together). If there are many, then respond to a decent percentage, at least the ones that ask (reasonable) questions.

Forums are a much bigger step. If you're now big enough that your fans want and will use forums, you're too busy to moderate them yourself. You need to hire someone or use trusted fans (probably on their own site that you can link to if they prove they're doing it well).

Guest posts are not too hard if you don't have very many, or much competition. This is a fun way to show fan views and increase the value of your site.

Live chats are not uncommon and shouldn't be hard if you have the right software. You will want someone else to moderate and deal with keeping time and tech stuff before and during the chat. These can be spoken or typed. Video is possible with smaller numbers but not practical with a lot of guests, unless it's just you that is in video. Again, it depends on the software.

Columns are a fairly low key way to include fan feedback. Here, you solicit questions ahead of time, usually with an end date, sometimes on a theme, then answer a selected version of them in print, in a podcast, a video chat, etc.

Curated comments is similar to columns only they aren't questions. Many people use comments on a review page. Make sure you have permission (soliciting them will work).

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sue2132873

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best