logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: Can I use "fuck" as a non-vulgar verb in a fantasy/steampunk world? I've been sending my fourth-ish novel through the my writing group. It is about a trio of teenagers running away from some

LarsenBagley300 @LarsenBagley300

At one time in history "fuck" meant simply "to fertilize" or "to have sex with". A late middle ages text ran, if i recall correctly "The farmer fucks the seed into the ground", and this was intended as a perfectly straightforward description.
But that is not true of any current English-speaking community. "Fuck" has acquired a connotation of violence, or at least of lovelessness. There are other terms for 'to have sex with" that are not elaborate euphemisms unlikely to be used in the kind of dialog you quote in the question, but without this distracting connotation, or not as much of it.
I would suggest "lay" as one possibility. It also tends to suggest casual sex without romance, but not as strongly as "fuck" and without the violent overtones. Let's try it in soem of the dialog from the question:

"Pahim," snapped Kanéko, "That horrible bastard. I mean... we slept together and what does he do?" Kanéko's voice rose up as rage filled her. "Then he kidnaps me and tries to sell me off like some slave!"
Maris gaped. "You laid Pahim?"
Kanéko gasped, and then blushed hotly. "No! Not like that. I mean, we were in the same bed but we... didn't do anything. I swear!"

In the othe quote "fuck" actually seems appropriate, the speaker intendes the speech to be a bit shocking i think, but consider:

Maris' ears drooped and she looked sad. "And Ruben said you were in trouble. And Pahim smelled like he wanted to lay you. And he's mean. And I don't think he liked you. And I don't hate you."

Other possible verbs: "Spread", "screw", "ravish" (a bit too old-fashioned, perhaps), "do" (as in "He did her"). Ther are quite a few others possible.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme