bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to shorten a prologue? I understand that a prologue is meant to open up a story and introduce characters, themes, and the world to my audience. It is not supposed to be a long length - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I suggest the prolog is only for information that needs to be established about your world – it's history and lore – not about the immediate characters.

Introducing the MC, his guild, and housemates is Chapter 1 material. It pertains specifically to the story told in the plot. If it feels like an infodump putting it in a prolog doesn't fix that, it just makes it worse. Your main characters will naturally be in your scenes, and they should have opportunity to reveal whatever they need to reveal about themselves in the course of telling their story – it's ok to trickle-in why they are important (their status and personal history) as we get to know them. It actually works better when these things go together. We get to met them and discover who they are at the same time. If their character details are infodumped in the prolog, it is like telling, not showing.

Prolog is for something outside your characters' experience: an ancient legend about the origin of an amulet, an agreement between 2 guilds long ago that shaped the rules they follow. Prolog is "Once upon a time in a land far, far away…", it is not "Joe attends a school with his friend Pete…" we should learn that when we meet Joe and Pete.

My attempt to separate Prolog from Chapter 1 would be:

My main character ("MC") and their relationship with their guild –
Chapter 1
MC's familial and social status – Chapter 1
The video game that becomes a foundation for the "rules of the world" – Prolog
The NPCs (non-player characters) "owned" by MC's guild – Chapter 1
A specific quest that plays a MAJOR role in the story at large – If
it is a "tradition" or common knowledge (like: the search for El Dorado) put it in the Prolog; if it is an evolving
conflict (like: getting past the enemy soldiers at the border) put the specifics in Chapter 1
A specific "item" that plays a frequently recurring role in the story
– If it plays a shadowy role the characters cannot learn until much
later: Prolog
A specific event that plays a critical part to the overall story – if
the event is historic: Prolog. If the event is current and unfolding:
Chapter 1

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jessie137

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best