bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : In which countries do printed fantasy novels sell the most? I tried to find sales figures about printed fantasy novels and how they compare among different countries, but I couldn't find anything - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I tried to find sales figures about printed fantasy novels and how they compare among different countries, but I couldn't find anything in that regard.

I can find generic statistics about how the American market for SF&F is evolving over the past years. Or how the European book market grew in recent years. Or country specific information without any details about the specific sales per genre. Or comparisons between a few selected countries for book prices. This last one gives me the sort of information I am searching for, but only for the countries Germany, Italy, Netherlands and Spain, where "Fantasy & Science-Fiction" has the highest percentage of sold units in Germany though this is only about e-books. But nothing that specifically tries to compare the sales in different countries grouped by the genre of books and whether they are digital or printed.

Therefore I am asking here: in which country do printed fantasy novels sell the most?

As I have seen many statistics that put Science-Fiction and Fantasy together answers to this question can also assume that they can be put together. Answers that find statistics solely about the fantasy genre will be rated higher though. Ideally an answer would provide me with a source that regularly posts statistics comparing the book sales per genre and category (digital/ printed) on a per-country basis with lots of countries being looked at so that I could look up the current statistics in the future.

Total numbers would be preferrable, but if you can find information on a per capita basis that would be very interesting, too.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sims2267584

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

This answer is mainly speculation, but it's speculation based on what I have seen come out the pipeline from a few nations. Based on the sheer number of fantasy Light Novel series Japan publishes each year, I'd have to say they sell the most. This assumes, of course, that we are using the following variables:

We are talking about print, not comics. (Include comics, and it's DEFINITELY Japan)
We are talking about fantasy in the sense of wizards, knights, and dragons. (Urban fantasy and Fantasy series like One Piece are excluded, otherwise again, it's DEFINITELY Japan)
We are talking about modern day publications, not historically, as in beyond our generation. (Otherwise... I have no idea. The British or the Greeks maybe? Beats me.)

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

This is NOT a great or complete answer, just the start of one, as it's been unanswered for a bit.
www.statista.com/statistics/288746/global-book-market-by-region/ and www.statista.com/topics/4062/book-market-in-europe/
(I'm not a subscriber to this, so I don't get the complete set of reports, which may answer your question)

Load Full (0)