logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : What should I call a short book about my life? I want to write a very short book of 100 pages. I want to put into it what I've suffered throughout my life: Hardships, failures, disappointments....

Hamaas631 @Hamaas631

Posted in: #Autobiography #Biography #Genre

I want to write a very short book of 100 pages. I want to put into it what I've suffered throughout my life: Hardships, failures, disappointments.... as an inspiration that, despite hardships, I survive!

And, at the end, I want to add conclusion that the protagonist (which is me, who had been bereft of every thing) ends up in the belief that he wouldn't let others suffer, who suffers more less like the protagonist....

Now the question is what do I call it: a novel, novella, short story...how to start; where from to start?

Please I seek your guidance.....

10.02% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (2) Report

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Candy753

Candy753 @Candy753

It's called a memoir.

Memoir is a subset of autobiography, which is a subset of biography.

A biography is the story of someone's life. Autobiography is when you write your own biography.

Memoir is writing about your own life but without the scope of a biography. Your book may span many decades, but it's short and focused on certain events.

Since your book would be nonfiction, it does not get classified as a novel, novella, or short story. If you are instead writing fiction that is based on your life, then you could use these terms.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Kaufman555

Kaufman555 @Kaufman555

First of all, is this a short autobiography? Or a work of fiction with a protagonist based on yourself? In the first case, I would jsut call it a short autobiography.

If this is to be fiction, than you could use one of those terms.
This question and the one linked from it give some standards for terms based on length, but you already know how large you want the work to be. I wouldn't worry about the terminology. Would you be doing anything different if you called it a "novel" vs a "Novella"? Write it at the length it seems to wok best, and then if you need a term when posting it or marketing it, you can pick one based on the descriptions in the other questions.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme