bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What should tie a collection of short-stories together? Short-stories are a nice format to write. If you have been an aspiring writer for at least one year, it's quite probabile that you've - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Think of the reader: a single individual—as a potential purchaser—isn't going to like every story in the world, at least not enough to commit money and time to read the book if they know they won't be interested in at least the majority of the content.

If all the stories appeal to a ten-to-twleve-year-old, that is good packaging. If half the stories appeal to teenage girls and half appeal to 50+ year old males, that is deplorable packaging.

That suggests closely related genres are useful, perhaps with a similar POV or outlook. But I can imagine some exceptions working well, such as contrasting POVs or multiple sides of the same situation.

I don't know if it is common for other people to feel betrayed by a book which starts out wonderfully—easy-to-follow, clear and concise—then becomes a hellish read. (Several technical books bruised my young brain in this way.)

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Harper186

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best