bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is it possible to figure out the ROI of an MFA? Given that there are a few jobs where an MFA (Masters of Fine Arts) in creative writing is preferred as a writer or editor, is it possible - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I think to some extent, you CAN simplify it the same way as for an MBA, because there are so many other (free or low cost) ways to improve your writing. So what does the program offer, other than the letters?

I guess it gives structure and discipline. There ARE other ways to improve your writing, but maybe some writers want to be given assignments and deadlines in order to force them to work. Fair enough, except that learning to work on your own, without immediate external incentives, is a pretty important skill for a writer to pick up. So the MFA programs help writers with a weakness, but they may only provide a bandaid solution.

MFAs also give access to professional writers and publishing insiders, but from what I've heard, the quality of these 'experts' varies greatly. And in these days of blogs, conferences, etc., I don't think MFAs are the only way to get access to these people. Sure, conferences cost money, but nowhere near as much as taking a year or two off work AND paying tuition to an MFA program.

Writers groups, whether in person or on line, give as much feedback as one would get in an MFA program, and while some of the feedback isn't valuable, I think sorting through that is another skill that a writer needs to develop.

I don't mean to argue against taking an MFA. If I had the time and the money, I'd love to do it. It would be incredible to have that much time set aside for writing, and that much support and encouragement close at hand. But it's not necessary to become a better writer. I think an MFA is a luxury. And luxury items don't have an ROI.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Reiling826

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best