bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I hide Chekhov's Gun? If there is a gun on the mantelpiece in the Act 1, then in Act 2, that gun must be fired. Background I'm a big believer in Chekhov's Gun. I try not to - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I agree that this is not a true case of Chekhov's Gun however I will give a recommendation for what you are trying to achieve. You want to mention the gun/basement with out drawing attention to it. So what if its function is buried in a list of things in a context unrelated to the final use of the gun/basement. For example describe the main character's personality by using the gun/basement.

Despite his age, Paul was a bit of an old soul. He yelled at the neighborhood children, drank tea rather than espresso, and was avid collector of antiques ranging from old toy trains to old pistols

or

MC's new housemate was an odd mix of pedantic and distrusting. There were so many rules to follow, and half the rooms were locked up because apparently Tom had had housemates steal things in the past and destroy the house while he was out of town.

These sentences bring up the objects without making their later importance obvious - you are just setting the scene - the toy train or yelling at the neighbor kids could just as easily make a vital contribution to the plot.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Speyer920

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best