bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to make writing humorous? I think my writing tends to be too serious/intense or whatever, so I'm wondering how writers create humorous writing. I'm interested in writing some humorous short - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I think my writing tends to be too serious/intense or whatever, so I'm wondering how writers create humorous writing. I'm interested in writing some humorous short stories in particular.

What language features or structural techniques help make writing humorous?

Some of the techniques I've used so far include using long, overly-exaggerated and outrageous descriptions.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Gloria285

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

What do you find funny? What kind of humour are you looking to create?

Trying to write a humorous short story can be very difficult. Humour is more difficult than drama, requiring a different set up and a twist. Whether humour is in music or prose, it is often the mild surprise that strikes us as humorous.

If you are looking for a dry wit to leaven an otherwise heavy story, create a character with such a turn of mind and have him observe these situations that he finds ridiculous.

If you want something that is humorous, read the works of O. Henry. They are memorable for their twists and have a gentle humour and irony to them. See how he did it and then look at examples of stories that you find funny. How did the author do it? Were you led to expect Y when X happens? Is it purely diction?

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

There is no single right answer for this.
Humorous writing can be accomplished in a variety of ways. For the sake of simplicity, I'm just going to list them for now, but if you want, leave a comment and I'll elaborate on them.

Embellishment (which is what you said you're doing)
Slapstick (hard to pull off in visual mediums; even harder in solely written mediums)
Hyperbole
Satire
Parody
Irony
Blatant Jokes
Witticism
Situational (scenarios that only work under constrained conditions)
Absurdity

Load Full (0)