bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : You're overcomplicating the question. All you need to do is this: write the events of each section. Start each section off as being distinctly different places and your readers should be able - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You're overcomplicating the question.
All you need to do is this: write the events of each section. Start each section off as being distinctly different places and your readers should be able to get the picture. They don't need to know the exact chronology as long as they know the events in Section 2 are not following the events in one.
For example, in my story I have two Main Characters. The audience is initially only introduced to one MC in the Prologue and the same MC from the end of the Prologue is the MC in Chapter 1. Both my Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 start with the following bit of text:

Urgh... What was that? My head is pounding as I struggle to open my eyes. At first, my body just won't seem to move. After some time, though, I awaken to see a ceiling that is not mine. As I look around at the room around me, I feel a thick haze in my mind slowly starting to lift before my ears catch the clicking of the doorknob...

By using the same text to open up both Chapters, I alert my readers that what they're reading isn't a continuation and that they need to wonder what is going on. These events are happening somewhat simultaneously, so it will let the reader know that the perspectives they are seeing are separate and different. For some reason though, both MCs have the exact same thoughts, instincts, and reactions towards their different circumstances which is in itself meant to be a cue that the reader needs to question what is going on.
Likewise, by making use of how you open each section, you should be able to get your readers to think about what is happening as well. This really can be done by making the openings heavily similar or heavily different. Either way works.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Moriarity138

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best