bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Would a full service PoD company include a literary agent? I have been communicating with three PoD companies. I was considering the first, it has been in business for years and provides a - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Rasdashan, I would advise you NEVER to pay a company to publish your book.

No professional agent will ever ask for money. No professional publishing house will ever ask for money.

Publishing houses pay you advances for your work, not the other way around.

And, in these days of print on demand, there's no reason to pay anything upfront when books are printed as and when a customer buys.

If you want a traditional deal with a reputable publishing house, find an agent first and they will find a home for your work, only taking a small percentage of your profits in return.

As you haven't given any "royalty" figures or stated these considerable sums, I will have to generalise here, but even traditionally published authors rarely make back their advances. Which means, if you do it the other way around and advance these people your money, it's unlikely you'll ever get it back, let alone make a profit.

Think about this carefully... have these people even read your book yet? I assume not since one of them didn't even know what your book was. In which case, why do they want to publish it when they have no idea whether or not it will sell or make them or you money?

The answer is... they don't care.

These people just want your money upfront. And once they have it, there's a good chance they'll own world rights to your work and you'll never be able to sell it to a traditional publishing house.

Once you have exhausted every agent, if you find you cannot get representation, you would be much better off investing your money in indie publishing. Mark Dawson does an excellent course (I'm not an affiliate and have no interest in his company) called SPF101. But he also has a lot of free information on YouTube. As does Joanna Penn who is also excellent.

I cannot stress this enough... run! Run like the wind my friend!

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kaufman555

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best