bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Would a full service PoD company include a literary agent? I have been communicating with three PoD companies. I was considering the first, it has been in business for years and provides a - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I would like to add a personal anecdote that may be helpful. I sent my plot outline and first chapter to a publishing company. They said it was considered at an editorial meeting and had been accepted for publication. They would do various things, including setting up an author website, editing the manuscript, typesetting it (hardly a difficult task now-a-days), etc. However, I had to contribute to the production costs. I thought about it and reckoned that I was prepared to risk a few hundred pounds if they thought the novel was okay. Before agreeing, I looked to see how much other people had been asked to contribute: over £3000.

Firstly, very few first novels make that much profit. Secondly, I could pay for all the services the company was offering for less than a thousand pounds and go truly print-on-demand. It made no sense commercially to use the company. I might believe that my novel is a masterpiece that will achieve mass market success, but the company didn't. They were just out to make money.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Vandalay250

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best