bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How can one learn about the laws of hospitality in Latin America? I have a situation where my MC - who has a dangerous reputation - was captured by an agent of Bolivian security. She takes - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I have a situation where my MC - who has a dangerous reputation - was captured by an agent of Bolivian security. She takes him to her father in-law, who starts to torture him.

He learns that much of what she had said to her husband was misdirection and just a psychological tactic to keep her captive off balance.

He promotes the prisoner to houseguest, but at first this terrifies my MC as he thinks he is about to be disposed of.

Said torturer is first and foremost a man who has served his country with distinction - if in an unsavoury fashion. He sees himself as a gentleman no different from the other ranchers in his district.

How strict would the Latin laws of hospitality be and how might I best determine such? Are they as absolute as those of the Middle East?

Might this change of perception not only prevent him from harming the MC, but have him protect him as a pro tem member of his household?

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pierce369

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Instead of the laws of hospitality, which aren't a big deal in Latin America -not more than "help those in need"- your MC should try religion.

The Bolivian father-in-law is probably a Catholic and as such, he can swear on his faith and have some moral commands: he can torture an enemy of his land, but he won't kill a prisoner, for example.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Honor among thieves?

I don't think you can make this one cultural, but possibly they could have a code of honor they follow? It could be an invented rule, stated as common knowledge. It could imply a protected ally, a status they must have specific words and rules for. The men would need to be updated on a former enemy's new status without explanation. VIPs would go from "shoot-on-sight" to "protect-as-your-own" (and back).

Of course it is up to the head of the "house" to make good on the code, disciplining anyone who would defy it.

A boss simply giving the order as a mandate to his men would effectively be the same thing. If they cross him, he will discipline ruthlessly (retaliate against family, etc).

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Hmm...

I am not sure, if Laws of hospitality is a universal human concept.

In fact, I have never heard of the laws of hospitality outside of the Muslim world (in the real world) and Westros in the Game of Thrones..

Load Full (0)