bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Showing mass murder in a kid's book Galastel did a spin off question based on one of mine. Mortal danger in mid-grade literature. And hers has spurred a new one for me. This is an issue I've - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

That is a pickle.

The sons of Levi are obeying the words of their prophet, which they believe to be the words of god. They have no choice.

I suggest the kids see sudden activity, men and youths grabbing swords and knives, leaving. Your kids hear the angry words of Moses and stay in the tent with the others, but the quiet bustle of activity makes some just have to watch.

One or two might peek out and see the head of the household strike down someone but it isn’t clear who. Everything would be over quickly, but there would be screams and pleading and then silence. The silence is what is worse, for the reader - especially the older ones - will understand why the screams stopped.

Have the kids frightened by the commotion, not believing it is happening. Perhaps they distance themselves from the tragedy by reminding themselves that these people have been dead for millennia. The silence that follows will be eloquent and no one who took part will want to think about it, certainly not talk about it.

He returned to his family, the silence that had been so roughly
disturbed had healed itself. Wiping his blade clean, he looked at his
wife, the sorrow in her eyes a match to his own. Such was the price of
sacrilege. “It was the will of God. We shall not speak of it.”

Of course, what do I know? I was raised presbyterian and given a bible for children.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sue2132873

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best