bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can I safely use "Thalidomide" in my novel while respecting the trademark? Thalidomide is a tricky one, as I am referring to its disastrous past regarding birth defects; however, Thalidomide - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

If you have a character who has a birth defect caused by thalidomide, just use the term. Thalidomide child or thalidomide baby were how this defect was called.

When I was in university, one of the girls in our dorm announced that her younger sister would be joining her. She warned us of two things: Susan was a thalidomide child and DO NOT help her.
Susan moved into the dorm and she was a tough minded girl. In her case, her defect was that her arms were extremely short. Carrying books was difficult for her, but we had been instructed on how not to drive her nuts.
One afternoon, I saw Susan by the elevator of the Humanities building and she had dropped her books. I asked her if she would like some help - an important lesson in respect - and she agreed it would be faster if I helped, so let me pick up a few of her books and give them to her.
Susan once told me that the doctor who prescribed the thalidomide to her mother apologized to her.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sue2132873

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best