bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: When quoting, must I also copy hyphens used to divide words that continue on the next line? I want to quote a text in which re of the word relationships is on one line while lationships - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Except in poetry, which retains its line breaks even when put on a single line, it doesn't make sense to retain a line end hyphen elsewhere on the line. It just wouldn't make sense and it would look weird. Chicago says this specifically on their website:

A hard hyphen is one that is typed deliberately and that must remain whether the phrase falls at the end of a line or in the middle of a sentence. An example is the hyphen in “two-thirds.” A soft hyphen, on the other hand, is there only when a word must be broken at the end of a line; it has likely been inserted by a word-processing feature, and it should disappear if the word falls in the middle of a sentence during typesetting.

While it's very rare, some books have a guide telling you which hyphens should be kept despite appearing at the end of the line (i.e. hard hyphens). As hyphenated expressions become older they often become single, non-hyphenated words, so it's not always obvious what hyphens are hard and what are soft. Look at the rest of the text to see if a word is hyphenated. Looking at other editions can also be helpful.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Carla500

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best