bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Autocapitalize after colon for dialog? I write my dialog in this format: Joe: Why are you wearing a shoe on your head? Sam: Mind your own damn business! What's annoying here is that it doesn't - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I write my dialog in this format:

Joe: Why are you wearing a shoe on your head?
Sam: Mind your own damn business!

What's annoying here is that it doesn't automatically capitalize the word following the colon. Is there a way to automatically capitalize the first word after a colon like it's the start of a sentence, but only for these specific instances? Or just in general?

I don't actually mind if I have to undo an auto capitalized word here and there when I used a colon in the middle of a sentence, as it's a lot less common in my writing, but fixing the first letter after every colon in a dialog heavy scene is tedious...

I'm using the Windows version (Version 1.9.9.0) of the tool scrivener.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Lee1909368

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

As of today, it cannot be done in one pass from within Scrivener.
I did spend a good amount of time researching this, and I discovered that Scrivener does not support GNU extensions in regex.

On the other hand, there is a "simple" solution. It is deadly tedious, but it only require 26 search-replace iterations (as opposed to scanning your entire text manually).

In project replace, just type ": a" in the find field and ": A" in the replace field. Repeat for each letter of the alphabet.

Load Full (0)