bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Crossing the line between justified force and brutality A beta reader of sorts (cousin) mentioned he thought my MC2 rather brutal in her capture of MC1 - though justified. I have her dupe - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Justification is a theme for you to explore
You decide what is justified. You decide what gives someone the right to do what she does.

Do the ends justify the means?
For the greater good.
Fear and self-defense. Is it self-defense when she is the pursuer?
No cause is just enough. As an officer of the law she has a duty to make apprehensions while maintaining the basic human rights of the prisoner.

I find a couple of things unlikely and requiring explanation, if you pursued this. Your officer is highly trained and presumably used to making captures. Or is she? If she is new, unqualified or unskilled in some way that might justify her fear. Your prisoner could also have a reputation that precedes itself. Even the most skilled and trained officer might be afraid when faced against a notorious fugitive. These are pretty drastic extremes, but sometimes that happens in our writing.
One thing struck me though. Something you said in a comment in response to me asking you if she was highly trained.

Yes, she is. Her concern was she was without backup and if he resists,
her chance to apprehend him is gone.

That doesn't sound like she is afraid for her safety. That sounds like she is afraid she might not win.
If she does this just to be sure she wins, because she always gets her man, and they never escape when she does, then she is a sociopath. This is absolutely brutality.
But then again, maybe she needs to get her man because too much is at stake if he escapes. Too many people will die.
Or they live in a police state.
Regardless of which direction you go with, you should research takedown and restraint techniques for people of smaller stature vs people much bigger than them. Something tells me that even if she was okay with brutality,

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Gail2416123

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best