bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is a stroke of luck acceptable after a series of unfavorable events? The protagonist sets out on a journey to reach a goal. But the further he gets into the story, the clearer he understands - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

As a comment has stated, luck cannot have a direct implication towards the solution itself. Otherwise at best it'll be a Deus Ex Machina event, and at worst it will bore the reader.

With that in mind, I find Luck may more interestingly manifest itself in cases such as where:

The MC would have to sacrifice something serious/painful (but still disposable) to accomplish a goal, but didn't have to because of luck. This could even give readers a sigh of relief specially since they are used to the MC getting screwed.

A loophole to this would be having a later problem that can be solved because the MC was spared this otherwise affordable cost before. You can play around with this in many ways.

The MC comes across a token (that has meaning to them) which sparks their emotional strength, and with that strength they fulfill their goals. This has less to do with the solution but instead resolution to follow through with their objective.
(My favorite) The MC gets to see that because of misfortune the MC has endured, they have in fact been spared from worse luck - had things gone "according to plan" earlier, the MC would be in a truly awful situation. Maybe hardships taught them many things that allows them to thrive, maybe destroyed relationships kept them from following a dark path; We'll never know what worse luck our bad luck has saved we from, but the MC may.

While these are all things that don't necessarily change the story, I find that they are enriched experiences because of instances of Luck and can be used to refuel some of the fire for the reader's interest.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Reiling826

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best