logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: Does detail obscure or enhance action? I have two versions of a pivotal scene in my novel (both already written). My SP is a rather impulsive young woman who is learning to be a bit less

Nimeshi163 @Nimeshi163

It would depend, I think, on what you were trying to accomplish with the scene. Is the main purpose of the scene to excite and thrill? Or is it to highlight the change a character has gone through? I think if your main goal is the former, just use the 1 paragraph version. If the latter, maybe the 3 paragraph version.
If you want to make the action the main focus, I think you'd want to keep it really short and sweet and punchy. If you're willing to draw it out a bit and let the reader really see how the character has changed, I don't see much of a problem with 3 paragraphs.
The ideal however, is a hybrid between the two, I think. Make a really punchy action scene, but also weave some sentences in there that highlight why this character is doing this/how she's changed.

Ultimately, the question you should be asking yourself is: "What do I want to convey to the reader in this particular scene?" Once you figure out the answer to that question, ask yourself, "Which version better accomplishes the goal I have set for myself?"

Hope that helps. Apologies for the somewhat rambly answer; I wrote this in like 5 minutes.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme