bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to create a consistent feel for character names in a fantasy setting? Recently while doing some world-building for a role-playing game with a friend we were seriously struggling with naming - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Bear in mind that languages do not have all names sounding the same. If you take my paternal grandfather's name Hyhory and his sons, Isydore, Anton and Kassian you will note considerable variation and that is in one family.

When I am working on names in fantasy, I choose a sound I like and use that as a foundation phoneme. One character, I wanted his name to mean rune, so looking at the word, I decided to flip it to Enur. In others I decided that soft vowels and consonant combinations would be used. In one culture, each name had a y in it somewhere.

You want special characters used, so Enur could become 'nur or En'r or E'r or En'. Kryshyn could become K'shyn, K'sh'n, 'ryshyn or Ky'yn.

Remember to say the name aloud. If you cannot pronounce it, you might have a problem.

You make the rules, just try to almost abide by them.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pierce369

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best