bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : What punctuation would you invent to solve your issues? What punctuation is missing from English that might solve your writing issues? People may be able to come up with established ones - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

What punctuation is missing from English that might solve your writing issues?

People may be able to come up with established ones that meet your criteria, such as the /s to indicate "that last bit was sarcastic," but what punctuation confusions would you like to solve?

I see a related question of "how would one use punctuation to indicate tone changes?" and "indicating different modes of speech, both translated and telepathic" and "how to indicate the slightest pause in dialogue."

Perhaps English needs to add something, typographically. (And we can make it catch on!)

I'll answer with mine, but I'd love to see more.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Caterina108

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

This is one thing I think English needs: the "Ammoc" -- it looks like a comma, but backwards.

It's used to indicate when one feels that for breath or speaking issues, a pause is needed, but it grammatically does NOT fit the rules of using a comma.

Often this is when the subject phrase is pretty long, so when speaking, one adds a break before the verb.

I often see a need for this is corporate-ese: speakers often pause after each phrase, whether or not it's a full clause that would have punctuation surrounding it.

This could also be used to indicate that small pause in dialog -- a little less intense of one than an em-dash or ellipses.

Load Full (0)