bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How is simplicity better than precision and clarity in prose? Many recommend the Hemingway app, which pushes simplicity and the lowest possible reading level. Where I live, an illiterate person - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Being able to read at a certain level is not the same as enjoying reading at that level.

There is also the question of what method are you using to determine an appropriate level. Flesch-Kincaid and ATOS are the only methods I can find information on.

The Accelerated Reading program in schools uses ATOS to determine what books are appropriate for readers of each grade level. This link will allow you to search for the grade level of any book that has been reported to ATOS. www.arbookfind.com/default.aspx?client=HomeConnect I think you might find the results surprising.

For example:

Also keep In mind that word length is only a small part of determining reading level. Sentence and paragraph length are also a factor. If your sentences are long the reading level will go up. Dialogue is broken in to short paragraphs, so reading level goes down.

Precision does not need to be sacrificed for clarity. There nothing wrong with polysyllabic words, especially if they make your sentences less complex. However, if I have to do a lot of googling in order to understand what I'm reading, I'm going to switch back to something little more dumbed down.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Speyer920

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best