bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How should we plan for translations' space needs when designing diagrams that require text? Our documentation set includes some diagrams where text is integral and can't be handled in callouts, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I would design the charts with generous space allowed for the original language. I would also allow for a section at the bottom of the diagram for notes. This section could be empty for the native language but could hold additional information for less space-efficient translations.

If I had more control over the diagram language (such as a more parametric version of Visio), I could tie font size to the amount of text, and change the relative sizes of the content. This is hard, though, and the possibility of bugs is huge in the general case.

Translation must serve several masters. The top-level meaning must be preserved. The connections that exist between ideas must be maintained, which can force word choices. [A professional translator would find legitimate fault with these two choices, and add many important other constraints on translation.]

Preserving the structure and readability of the diagrams is naught but one more constraint. A "notes" escape hatch to convey more when needed can work.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Karen856

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best