bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Having multiple epilogues According to Wikipedia, An epilogue is the final chapter at the end of a story that often serves to reveal the fates of the characters. Some epilogues may feature scenes - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You can, but it's self-indulgent and kind of sloppy --a bunch of disconnected scenes outside the body of your story. Typically an epilogue helps put a cap on a story, and bring it closure. But this effect is diluted by multiple epilogues.

Of course, you want your reader to desire to hold on to your characters and your world after the story ends. Even in that case, however, the multiple epilogues can be counter-productive. They stop your reader from dreaming up his or her own future for the characters. If you're bound and determined to do this, I'd recommend just reducing the multiple epilogues to single paragraphs or even sentences --just enough to give a little update on how the characters are doing in the future. Or, finding a reason to bring all the characters together in the future, so at least they can share a single scene.

The only time I would accept multiple, fully realized epilogues is in obedience to the rule that the end structure should mirror the beginning structure. If you've started your book by introducing your A, B and C characters one by one, in their own individual prologues, I can see pairing that with multiple epilogues at the end.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sarah872

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best