logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: Any advice on creating fictional locations in real places when writing historical fiction? I am currently working on a historical fiction novel set during the tail end of the Harlem Renaissance,

Kaufman555 @Kaufman555

It sounds like you've done some research about your time and location. I'm not aware of any genre rules, like "Historical Fiction verses Period Fiction", where the author is expected to limit only to verifiable facts. There are probably superfans who will nit-pick, but most people will just appreciate a good story.

You actually might want to go the other way and add more historic facts – famous names, actual locations. I think you can take liberties without being accused of writing Alternate History – especially if your story is original characters in a historic time and place. History buffs might be able to spot similarities between your fictional theater and ones that actually existed (they also might be the people who would enjoy your story). Still, most readers will give you plenty of creative leeway before accusing you of butchering history.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme