bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to give the readers breathing space, without putting them to sleep? I remember reading somewhere that while plots should have tension, too much tension will tire the readers out, so there - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I don't think you can 'ensure' anything in writing. I think every book ever written has people who love it (the author, at least) and people who hate it. What you found boring, someone else probably found fascinating.

I think it's great to consider your audience and try to write what they want to read, but you also have to consider yourself, and consider what YOU want, in terms of writing and reading. So read your own work with a critical eye, and see whether you'd find it interesting as a reader.

In slightly more concrete terms:

Build the tension, reach a climax, and then start building the tension all over again. Don't psycho-analyze the hero's childhood unless that ramps up the tension. The tension could be increased because we start to care about the character more, or because it gives us clues about the current situation, or whatever else, but if it's totally unrelated, it shouldn't be there. The tension increase may be subtle, but it should be there.

That said, if you aren't the sort of reader who enjoys having characterization inserted in an action story, then don't write that kind of story. I think readers can tell when writers are faking it, so you should write the sort of book you'd like to read, and trust that you aren't unique; there are others out there who like the same sort of thing, and they're your audience.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamaas631

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best